advertisement

Arsip Blog

Home » , » Negros Oriental, Cebu Earthquake February 6, 2012

Negros Oriental, Cebu Earthquake February 6, 2012

An Earthquake reached Magnitude 7 jolts Visayas earlier today, February 6, 2012, read the full story here...

Visayas Jolts By 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake - February 6, 2012

Earthquake February 6, 2012 Philippines Negros Cebu

Death Toll - Earthquake On Visayas


Negros Oriental, Cebu City and 57 other areas were jolted by a 6.9 magnitude earthquake earlier today, February 6, 2012. The Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) reported that the earthquake epicenter was pinpointed between the heavyly populated Negros Oriental and Cebu City.

Is there any casualties ?

The head of National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), Benito Ramos, said that a total of 7 people were killed because of the earthquake. The NDRRMC made his report earlier at four in the afternoon.

[ UPDATE - Governor Roel Degamo of Negros Oriental said on a television interview that a total number of eleven (11) people had been confirmed to him to have killed in his province alone. The governor said that nine of the victims were killed in a landslide in Barangay Planas in Guihulngan City alone. Governoe Degamo further noted that more than twenty (20) people are still missing. ]

On the other province, Mayor Ernesto Reyes of Guihulngan City also said in an interview that as many as thirty (30) houses were destroyed and buried by the landslide caused by the earthquake. Guihulngan CIty Mayor further reported that around 29 people were missing on his jurisdiction.

Intensity five (5) was reported to have occured on major cities namely; Roxas City; Dao and Ivisan in Capiz; Iloilo City; Ayungon town in Negros Oriental; Kanlaon City; Lapu-lapu City; Guimaras; Cebu City; San Carlos City; Bacolod City; Sagay City; Tagbilaran City; Candoni and Binalbagan towns Negros Occidental.

For the Intensity four (4); San Jose de Buenavista, Pandan, Anini-y, Patnungon towns in Antique; Kalibo in Aklan province, Dipolog City, Sipalay in Negros Occidental and Ormoc City.

The earthquake occured at Intensity three (3) at; Butuan City in Agusan del Norte; Legaspi City, Albay; Carmen, Cagayan de Oro; Tacloban City; Catbalogan; Saint Bernard, Southern Leyte; Masbate, Masbate; Cagayan de Oro City; Intensity 2 in Cabid-an, Sorsogon; Borongan, Eastern Samar; Mambajao, Camiguin.

Intensity one (1) was felt at Pagadian City.

Due to the earthquake, PhilVolcs raise a stunami warning at alert level 2 but was lifted at around 2:30 p.m.

Residents paniced in Cebu City, the second most populated city in the Philippines. Cebu City authorities however did not report any immidiate casualties or major damages.

The destructive earthquake occured today, February 6, 2012, that's why reports about casualties and damages is still for confirmation yet, we will be giving you updates regarding the news as soon as we heard any development.

2 Comments:

  1. This is an unexpected happening; there are many people who are victims of this tragedy. We hope and pray that they cannot happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Thanks for sharing. I hope that preventative measures can be put in place soon. One thing that can be done which costs nothing is each individual take responsibility for their garbage and put it where it belongs instead of throwing it all over the streets, rivers, and everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete